Sunday, August 25, 2013

Trying Something new with Washi Tape!!! Another Use for Washi Tape!!!!

I really wanted to try a new technique on my cards.  I am not sure what this technique is officially  called but you can use painters tape to create the stripes on the card.  I didn't have any painters tape so I will call this Another Use for Washi Tape Card Technique!
Since I didn't have any painters tape, I thought about what I did have- and I have PLENTY of Washi tape!  Even better, I have lots of different widths of Washi tape!  It would work perfect for my card idea!
 
I started this card out using a photo inspiration from:  http://casestudychallenge.blogspot.com/
I really liked the stripes on this Case Study.  Instead of using different colors, I used the color combo from: http://thedynamicduoschallenge.blogspot.com/
Calypso Coral and Crispy Cantaloupe.  I really liked the subtle different in colors.


To make the stripes, I used Washi tape in different widths.  Simple press the Washi tape into the ink pad.  The tape will pick up the ink irregularly, and that is what you want.

I started my card layer out using some Calypso Coral Washi tape as a layer.

Then I inked up my Washi tapes and layered them one by one onto my card, smoothing them down and lifting them back up.  It helped that I used a craft mat to work on to life the tape up easier. It also helped to make the tape wider than your layer so you have room for your fingertips (and then don't get ink all over them- I still did but I am pretty sure that is operator error) and you want the tape longer than your layer so you can easier take it back up.  Yes, you are actually throwing the inked Washi tape away when you are done but I have LOTS of Washi tape and this technique takes very little of the tape off the roll. 
This was also the perfect technique for the challenge at:  http://simplylessismoore.blogspot.com/2013/08/week-134-recipe-washi-tape.html
The challenge was to use or create some Washi tape.  I used Washi tape but also "created" with Washi tape!






I loved the irregulars of the tape to create the stripes.  
 


 
This was a fun card to try.  Items used:  Epic Day This and That Washi tape, Simply Sketched Hostess Stamp Set , Gorgeous Grunge , Crisp Cantaloupe Stretch Trim , Crisp Cantaloupe ink, Calypso Coral ink, Crumb Cake ink, Crumb Cake Cardstock, Whispering White Cardstock
 
Thanks for stopping by!  Happy Crafting!
Michelle


14 comments:

  1. I love the card Michelle! I never would have thought to ink up the washi tape, and then throw it out. I would have had trouble with the throwing out part, but now that I see the results I just might have to try this. Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful card Michelle!! Love, love it!

    I seen the painters tape technique somewhere on the World Wide Web a few months ago. When I finally remembered to buy some tape, Hubby asked what I was going to paint. I said "I'm not painting, I'm inking!". I think he was relieved to hear that, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea!! I've just recently learned about the masking tape technique--what a great way to adapt---like the card too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is really cool! I really love how irregular it is too.
    Thanks for playing along at Dynamic Duos this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely card and a really fabulous idea ... love it!! ox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Michelle! Great tip! Definitely something I want to try - turned out wonderful - so creative, and smart to use what you have on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  7. THere's not a lot of white space Michelle but it's a great card!
    Thanks so much
    Chrissie
    "Less is More"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michelle, this is such a COOL technique! Wow! Fantastic card! Thanks for joining us at Dynamic Duos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this neat technique you did, Michelle!! Thanks for playing at Dynamic Duos this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous card... Love how you used the washi. Thanks for joining us
    Jen x
    "Less Is More"

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this! Absolutely brilliant! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just found your lovely blog via, "Less is More" blog - your card is gorgeous and the colour scheme is sooo pretty. What a brilliant technique idea. Than you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just found your lovely blog via, "Less is More" blog - your card is gorgeous and the colour scheme is sooo pretty. What a brilliant technique idea. Than you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...